SI has the responsability to:
- Plan the coverage of the wireless network signal;
- Install and configure access points (APs) that emit the wireless signal;
- Monitor and maintain the APs;
- Provide IP connectivity (IPv4 and IPv6) to users who connect to APs, just as if they were connecting to the physical network;
- Implement the access control mechanisms to the wireless network, standardized according to the specifications of the Eduroam network.
Técnico is connected to the Eduroam worldwide network.
Locally, this is a wireless network service, where users can safely roam between different Higher Education and Research institutions (worldwide). Externally, Técnico’s users may use their credentials to access Eduroam networks from other higher education or research schools (hence the relevant need to use the suffix @tecnico.ulisboa.pt in the username field when setting up the connection to the Eduroam network).
Generic parameters for the configuration of Técnico’s wireless network Eduroam
To have access to the eduroam wireless network, it is necessary to have the IST authentication credentials, as well as the IST Root CA Certificate installed on the device.
The generic configuration parameters of the eduroam wireless network are:
|EAP method||PEAP or TTLS|
|PEAP version||0 (zero)|
|Phase 2 authentication||MSCHAPv2|
|Root CA Certificate||IST Root CA Certificate|
|Root CA Certificate Fingerprint (SHA-1)||59:F5:C2:C1:A9:CC:B7:34:DE:1C:3E:14:7A:A2:53:C6:57:1E:E7:AF|
|Anonymous firstname.lastname@example.org (1)|
|Domain||IST – eduroam|
|Usernameemail@example.com, where istxxxxx corresponds to your Técnico ID, followed by the suffix “@tecnico.ulisboa.pt” (mandatory)|
|Password||Password associated to your Técnico ID|
(1) To ensure the users’ privacy, it is not advisable to share any private information in this field.
Wireless network (Eduroam) configuration instructions:
- Setting up the wireless network in Windows 10 | [with screenshots]
- Setting up the wireless network in MacOS | [with screenshots]
- Setting up thewireless network in Android | [with screenshots]
- Setting up the wireless network in iOS | [with screenshots]
- Setting up the wireless network in Ubuntu | [with screenshots]
Frequently asked questions (FAQs):
- How to get a temporary IST wireless network access account?
- Can I install a private wireless network in my department/research center?
- Why is the username and password asked several times to access the IST wireless network?